Tours of South Africa take you to cosmopolitan cities, rugged coastlines, the spectacular Garden Route, safaris and valleys full of excellent vineyards. It’s the ideal place to experience the train journey of a lifetime, as well as being a fantastic spot for a road trip. South Africa is home to some of Africa’s most spectacular wildlife, best wines, most exquisite cuisines and warmest hospitality. Browse our selection of suggested itineraries below for inspiration.
For a taste of the country’s main attractions book our 15 day Grand Tour of South Africa. This carefully crafted itinerary has been created by our Destination Specialists to ensure you get the most from your time here. Experience the country’s two main cities, Johannesburg and Cape Town, see rolling green valleys as you taste exquisite wines, enjoy a safari and visit the beautiful national parks.
If you're restricted by time, but not wishing to miss out on the beautiful sceneries that South Africa has to offer, book our compact four day Highlights of the Garden Route tour. Begin in beautiful Cape Town before taking in the seaside towns, landscapes and national parks of the Garden Route. If you prefer to blend wildlife with the winelands and one of South Africa’s biggest cities, book our Discover the Cape, Whales and Winelands tour.
Palace Of The Lost City Holidays
South Africa Safari And Beach Holidays
“Take the cable car up to Table Mountain. The views are awe-inspiring, especially as the sun sets as the cities begins to twinkle. Remember to bring a coat as it can get chilly, and a little windy.”
“For a unique animal encounter, consider heading to one of the Outdshoorn ostrich farms. They make for brilliant selfies, and there’s always the opportunity to sample local vintages at nearby wineries here, too.”
“Lovers of flora will be in their element at Port Elizabeth’s Van Staden Wildflower Reserve. With 500 acres of exotic and indigenous wildflowers on display, set amid sweeping plateaus, riverbanks and cycling trails, it’s a lovely way to escape the hubbub of the cities.”
Frequently Asked Questions
What is South Africa known for?
In addition to its dramatic scenery, formed of soaring mountain ranges, vast desert dunes, rolling emerald hills, deep canyons and thundering waterfalls, South Africa is also home to an abundance of incredible wildlife. Here you’ll find the mighty Big Five, crocodiles, giraffe, zebra, hyena, and hippos to name but a few. Its cities are known the world over for their friendly, modern and cosmopolitan feel, with Cape Town being named the world’s best city numerous times.
What currency do I need to bring for South Africa?
The South African rand is the country’s official currency. You will find that while exploring the cities of Cape Town and Johannesburg, ATMs are widely available, and credit cards are largely accepted by restaurants, bars and hotels. As you would expect, the further you venture from these cities, the less available ATMs become, and the more likely it is that you’ll require cash for purchases.
What language do they speak in South Africa?
There are as many as 11 official languages spoken across South Africa, with English being among the most popular of second languages spoken by its citizens, and arguably the most widely spoken. You won’t have much difficulty conversing with the locals here, so there’s no need to buy a phrasebook.
Combining an extensive array of exotic wildlife and jaw-dropping scenery with thriving, modern cities, South Africa is a haven for every traveller under the sun. Witness the Big Five, explore its lively city streets, sample delicious wine and immerse yourself in South Africa’s extraordinary past.
Why you'll love South Africa...
• Tracking the iconic Big Five on an unforgettable safari experience
• Whale watching off the coast of Hermanus
• Wandering the buzzing, colourful streets of the ‘Mother City’, Cape Town.
• Sampling delicious wines and al fresco dining in Stellenbosch
• Discovering South Africa’s growing art scene at Museum Africa
• Taking selfies with the ostriches of Outdshoorn
• Riding the cable car to the top of Table Mountain and gazing on the amazing vista below
• Marvelling at the splendid Cape Dutch architecture
• Roadtripping along the scenic Garden Route
• Trekking through Van Stadens Wildflower Reserve
• Spotting Cape fur seals, sharks, penguins and dolphins at St Croix Island Marine Reserve
• Relaxing and people-watching on the famous Camps Bay beach
Did you know?
• Nearly half of all the gold ever mined in the world has come from Witwatersrand, South Africa.
• South Africa’s Sunland Bar is set inside a 6,000-year-old baobab tree.
• Should you stumble upon a meteorite here, you must immediately notify authorities, as they are protected under the country’s National Heritage Law.
There’s no question too small. Start planning your dream trip by talking to our Destination Specialists.
Sign up to our newsletter
Receive the latest travel inspiration and destination news.
How we tailor make your holiday
The Hayes & Jarvis Way
We've been tailor making holidays for 65 years. With over 60 destinations to choose from, talk to us and we'll listen to your travel ideas to create unforgettable holiday experiences.