Boston is a city rich in history. Reflecting its role in the USA’s independence, as the first abolitionist state, Boston’s Freedom Trail is a red brick path leading from Boston Common past many significant buildings and sites, such as Bunker Hill Monument where you can climb to the top for an amazing city view.
Boston also offers plenty of architectural interest, from the 17th century Paul Revere House and Georgian and Victorian influences, to modern buildings and the fascinating Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall Marketplace provide atmosphere, unusual shops, and enticing aromas of fresh food from great restaurants and artisan stalls. Then there’s Newbury Street, with its chic brands and fantastic dining options, and quaint Beacon Hill where you’ll find boutiques and bars along cobbled, tree-lined streets, endearingly gas-lit at night.
This wonderful city is part of our Eastern Discovery Tour. After New York and Boston, keep your eyes peeled for the rural delights of New England en route to the cities of eastern Canada, with the tour finishing in Washington DC.
Alternatively, our Lighthouses and Lobsters Tour takes in Boston as well as pretty New England seaside towns and the glorious scenery of New Hampshire, Maine and Cape Cod.
Martha'S Vineyard Holidays
Self Drive Tour New England Usa
“A quick peep at the original Cheers bar in Beacon Hill is definitely a must on a first Boston visit – it gets very crowded, unlike in the TV show.”
“I love the Boston Public Library. Its millions of books are one thing, but the internal, opulent décor is spectacular.”
“At Boston Harbor you can take a boat trip to the Boston Harbor Islands national and state park for magnificent views and remarkable history."
Frequently Asked Questions
When is the best time to go to Boston?
October is perfect for a visit to Boston. It’s warm, sunny and the autumn leaves are stunning. If you can’t make it then, April, May and September offer balmy weather perfect for exploring.
What kind of food is Boston known for?
Boston is known for its fresh seafood – try a hearty bowl of clam chowder or fresh lobster rolls; or you might like to sample Boston baked beans – slow-cooked in molasses. If you have a sweet tooth then you'll love Boston Cream Pie – a buttery sponge cake filled with cream, brushed with rum and coated in chocolate fondant.
This clean and walkable city feels friendly and has plenty to see and do. If you don’t feel like walking, simply jump on the trolley bus and get an idea of what takes your fancy. There’s a good variety of tempting restaurants, chic boutiques, imposing buildings oozing with history, and others quaint with charm, grace and elegance. Want a taste of real America? Catch a game of baseball at Fenway Park before you leave.
Why you'll love... Boston
- Indulging in Boston's fabulous seafood – from cod and steamed lobster to oysters and clam chowder
- Learning all about the Boston Tea Party
- Climbing to the top of Bunker Hill Monument to admire the view
- Feeling shivers down your spine as you follow the Beacon Hill crime stories tour
- Getting into the Halloween spirit at Boston’s pumpkin festival
- Putting a building to a name when you see the famous Harvard University
- Mooching around the markets to find unusual souvenirs and gifts for those back home
- Exploring the fascinating architecture of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Imagining the crowds at the speeches of the courageous Martin Luther King Jr
- Feeling an enormous sense of history in the USA's oldest city
- Experiencing heavenly smells and tastes in Chinatown and North End (Little Italy)
Did you know?
- Boston Common is the oldest public park in the USA and dates back to 1634.
- One of Boston's nicknames is 'Beantown' as a result of the baked beans introduced by the city's early settlers.
- Boston Harbour is the site where the first lighthouse in the USA was built in 1716.
There’s no question too small. Start planning your dream trip by talking to our Destination Specialists.
Sign up to our newsletter
Receive the latest travel inspiration and destination news.
How we tailor make your holiday
The Hayes & Jarvis Way
We've been tailor making holidays for 65 years. With over 60 destinations to choose from, talk to us and we'll listen to your travel ideas to create unforgettable holiday experiences.