Although not celebrated in the same way as New York, Chicago is a vibrant, attractive, and modern place to visit with many diverse attractions. Enjoy a performance at the riverside outdoor theatre or Navy Pier, wander along the river and observe the floating gardens, listen to live music in the famous Blues bars and cool off in the water at one of the lakeside beaches. A breeze to navigate via elevated ‘L’ trains and local, on-off tour buses, Chicago has charm in abundance and will entertain all your senses.
Our Great American Road Trip tour combines the buzz and excitement of several cities with the freedom of the iconic, open road, offering sublime vistas of celebrated national parks along the way. Before you go, let Chicago woo you with a cooling river trip winding through the spectacular skyscraper landscape, the taste of its world-famous deep pan pizzas, inspiring art galleries and the opportunity for relaxation in the modern 606 Park.
Alternatively, if you envy passing bikers, the roar of their engines, the aromas of open farmland and the cool mountain breeze running through your hair, our exhilarating EagleRider Route 66 Guided Motorcycle Tour will inspire you. Starting in the cheerful city of Chicago, you’ll take the more conventional ‘Mother Road’ via the mid-west, as you make your way to California.
Route 66 Rv Road Trip
Hicago To Detroit Road Trip
“I’d choose EagleRider any day. Open up on Route 66 and experience the American road the way it's meant to be."
“I’d recommend the romantic Chicago river walk at night. There’s an outdoor theatre, live Blues bars, places to eat and a real buzz.”
“If you want to get a great overview of Chicago, take a river boat tour, or ride the elevated L train. You get a comprehensive sense of the city that way.”
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the best place for a panoramic view over Chicago?
Willis Tower’s Skydeck Chicago offers a breath-taking view. It has a 1300 feet high, glass ledge extending four feet out from the building.
When is Chicago’s Blues festival?
For three days in early June the free to enter Chicago Blues Festival takes place. Here you can catch well known artists and rising stars of the jazz world.
Where can I see a traditional baseball game?
Chicago’s Wrigley Field is home to baseball, hockey, football and other sports – sometimes all at the same time. It’s also a concert venue. Look online to see what’s on while you’re here.
Visit Chicago’s America for its forward-looking attitude, beautiful modern architecture, clean open spaces and laid back Blues. When you’re finished in the city for the day, lie back on the lakeside beaches, or play in the refreshing water. Chicago is a great first step to your eclectic holiday.
Why you'll love Chicago...
• Listening to live blues music in Chicago’s blues bars
• Strolling the atmospheric Chicago River Walk by night
• Cooling off with lakeside fun and relaxation
• Being overwhelmed by the stunning views over city and lake from Willis Tower’s Skydeck
• Taking in the contrasting vistas of city skylines
• Gliding along Chicago River, snaking through the modern architecture towering above you
• Riding the L train high above the streets of Chicago
• Watching and wondering at the rules of baseball in Wrigley’s Field
• Tasting your way around the city, starting with your favourite toppings on classic Chicago deep pan pizzas
• Playing with the magic of the Cloud Gate sculpture
• Trying something quirky with a doughnut tour of the city
• Cycling along the lakefront and taking in the lake’s vast waters
Did you know?
• Chicago is known as The Windy City because of the cooling winds coming off Lake Michigan.
• The Cloud Gate sculpture was built by a British artist, Sir Anish Kapoor. It’s built to give the appearance of liquid mercury.
• Chicago’s downtown area is known as The Loop.
There’s no question too small. Start planning your dream trip by talking to our Destination Specialists.
Sign up to our newsletter
Receive the latest travel inspiration and destination news.
How we tailor make your holiday
The Hayes & Jarvis Way
We've been tailor making holidays for 65 years. With over 60 destinations to choose from, talk to us and we'll listen to your travel ideas to create unforgettable holiday experiences.