Trekking through the dense rainforest of Rwanda in search of mountain gorilla families is one of the most profound experiences that you can enjoy in the natural world. Our three day Gorillas Through the Mist tour provides the perfect option if you wish to view the behaviour of beautiful gorillas, golden monkeys, bushbuck and black-fronted duiker in their natural habitat.
With an expert guide by your side every step of the way, you’ll explore national parks and conservation areas, while also learning more about Rwanda’s extraordinary culture and history. The volcanic landscape and lush vegetation to the north of the country is like no other, and provides a mesmerising backdrop to your gorilla trek. Many travellers to Rwanda agree that you’ll struggle to find a more beautiful location at sundown.
Once your three day gorilla trek draws to a close, you may also decide to take the opportunity to visit nearby Kenya, Tanzania or Zanzibar to discover another distinct side of African culture – something we can help you arrange.
At Hayes & Jarvis, we’ve spent decades organising gorilla treks in Rwanda, giving us a unique perspective on the best routes and accommodation available at different times of the year. Due to the limited number of Gorilla Permits that are issued by the Rwanda Tourist Board on an annual basis, it’s important to plan your trip in good time. Read more about our gorilla trekking tour of Rwanda below or get in touch today to discuss your trip.
- Track gorillas through their natural habitat in the mountainous forests of Volcanoes National Park
- Spot a huge array of exotic wildlife, including golden monkeys, forest elephants and spotted hyenas
- Learn about Rwanda’s humbling history on a special visit to the Genocide Museum at Kigali
- Extend your trip with a short flight to nearby Kenya or the beautiful archipelago of Zanzibar
Start your Journey
Arrival in Kigali - Virunga Conservation Area
Arriving at Kigali International Airport, your local guide will be waiting to welcome you to Rwanda. From there, it’s a relatively short drive over to the Virunga Conservation Area where you’ll have the chance to drop off your things, freshen up and enjoy first-class hospitality at the Gorilla View Mountain Lodge.
Your guide will give you an initial briefing and tips on exploring the local area, which you’ll be able to do at your own leisure on your first day in Rwanda. This is the perfect time to discover the local crafts and perhaps pick up a few mementos.
Virunga Conservation Area
After breakfast, you’ll be given a full briefing by your expert guide on how to behave in the forest before being accompanied into the heart of Volcanoes National Park in search of a mountain gorilla troop.
We recommend that you take plenty of water. Despite this being an unforgettable experience that will be in your memory for a lifetime, bringing along a good-quality camera will ensure that you can document the journey for your friends and family. Waterproof clothing is recommended given the unpredictable climate in this area of dense rainforest.
Having spent an hour watching the behaviour of these magnificent creatures, you’ll explore the park a little more to catch a glimpse of other wildlife native to the area, before heading back to your hotel in the afternoon for a bite to eat. Here you’ll have an opportunity to relax, discuss your experience, or explore the surrounding area a little more if time permits, before heading back to your hotel in Kigali for the evening.
Virunga Conservation Area - Kigali
in order to fully understand the terrible events of 1994 and to appreciate the ways in which this has impacted the current culture and social climate of the country. Speak to our destination specialists to add this onto your itinerary.
From there, there’ll be time to explore Kigali a little more before you are driven to Kigali Airport in plenty of time for your departure home or onto your next destination. Given Rwanda’s close proximity to other beautiful African nations, many of our guests decide to extend their tour of the continent with a short flight over to Kenya, Tanzania or Zanzibar.
- Cost of accommodation (double room based on two people sharing) for a total of two nights (alternative but similar accommodation may be used at certain times of the year)
- Board basis is 2 x breakfast, 1 x lunch, and 1 x dinner
- Private transfers
- Gorilla Permits and Trek Experience on a shared group basis
- Assistance and porterage: meeting and assistance on arrival/departure at airports and hotels
- English-speaking local guides for all guided excursions as illustrated in the itinerary
- Entrance fees (excluding video camera fee) for park fees and government taxes for all guided excursions as illustrated in the itinerary
- International flights and airfare taxes
- Visa arrangements and fees
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses, such as alcoholic beverages, telephone calls, laundry, camera fees, spa and business facilities in the hotel
- Video and professional still camera fees during excursions
- Gratuities for drivers, porters, tour directors, local guides, naturalists and hotel staff
- Meals (unless specified)
You might also like these
Take a look at these other inspiring itineraries. Our Destination Specialists would love to create something perfect for you.
Highlights of Northern Tanzania
Tanzania And Zanzibar Twin Centre Holidays
There’s no question too small. Start planning your dream trip by talking to our Destination Specialists.
Sign up to our newsletter
Receive the latest travel inspiration and destination news.
How we tailor make your holiday
The Hayes & Jarvis Way
We've been tailor making holidays for 65 years. With over 60 destinations to choose from, talk to us and we'll listen to your travel ideas to create unforgettable holiday experiences.