Packed with national parks, diverse landscapes and incredible wildlife, our Highlights of Northern Tanzania tour offers a truly unforgettable experience if you’re looking to explore and connect with the natural world of East Africa. This jewel of the African continent offers one of the world’s best safari locations, and our expert local naturalists are here to ensure you get the most out of every single moment of your five day tour.
We’ll take you through the unique terrain, forests and soda lakes of Lake Manyara National Park, one of the few places in the world where you can spot rhino, flamingo, elephants and tree-climbing lions. From there we head into the vast grasslands of the Serengeti National Park, where you’ll have the chance to witness the sheer scale of the famed Great Migration for yourself, where herds of wildebeest roam. Expect to see plenty of zebra and gazelle following in their wake.
But that’s not all. No trip to Northern Tanzania is complete until you’ve spent a day exploring Ngorongoro Conservation Area, where you’ll find the world’s largest inactive volcano, now home to leopards, lions and buffalo. Anthropology enthusiasts will know this region as one of the earliest known hominin settlements, with recovered fossils dating back two to three million years.
At Hayes & Jarvis, our team of Northern Tanzania holiday experts are here to help you craft your ideal tailor-made itinerary. We’re always on hand to discuss your options and ensure you get the best from your safari experience.
- Witness the scale of the annual wildebeest migration across the plains of the Serengeti
- Spot the ‘Big 5’ game at various locations: elephant, lion, leopards, buffalo and rhino
- Explore the incredible terrain and soda lakes of Lake Manyara National Park
- Learn about the many fascinating aspects of traditional Maasai culture and customs
Start your Journey
Lake Manyara National Park
Arrive at Kilimanjaro International Airport in Northern Tanzania, where you’ll be greeted by your tour guide and taken directly to the Manyara Wildlife Safari Camp just in time for lunch. This is just a quick stop to refuel and drop off your belongings before you head out to the incredible Lake Manyara National Park in the afternoon.
Dive straight into the action with an afternoon game drive around the reserve, which provides you with the perfect first chance to spot roaming rhino, elephant and flamingo along the way. Beyond the incredible wildlife it contains, Lake Manyara National Park is famed for its diverse terrain, particularly the shallow soda waters of Lake Manyara. This sprawling watering hole attracts herds of different animals and birdlife, and is also responsible for the shimmering heat haze that often surrounds the park.
Exploring the Serengeti
From Manyara, take a morning drive across the vast plains of the Serengeti for the second part of your Highlight of Northern Tanzania tour. This area is packed with incredible wildlife, offering plenty of opportunities to spot wandering herds en route to your lodgings at the beautiful Serengeti Kati Kati Camp.
After lunch, head straight out into the national park to catch up with over one million migrating wildebeest, zebra and impala – this is a truly unique and memorable moment. Our experienced tour guides will be on hand to explain the amazing feat of this wildlife phenomenon as you watch the events unfold first-hand. After a full afternoon game drive, it’s back to your camp to unwind, dine, and rest your head for the night.
Serengeti: Part Two
Covering a distance of over 18,000 miles squared, the sheer scale of the Serengeti plains means that it simply isn’t possible to see everything in one day. It’s certainly worth spending a little more time exploring the very best of what this fascinating region has to offer – and that’s exactly what you’ll do today!
A morning game drive will give you the opportunity to see a different side of the park, as various wildlife tend to emerge at different times throughout the day. After another break for lunch, head out on the road once more to explore the furthest corners of the Serengeti as part of your afternoon drive, before heading back to camp for another memorable overnight stay.
Ngorongoro National Park
Home to the world’s largest inactive volcano, Ngorongoro National Park is a must-see destination for your tour around Northern Tanzania. As soon as you venture by jeep out onto the crater floor you’ll realise that this is a place you won’t forget in a hurry. The natural beauty and biodiversity that you’ll find here is incredible.
By late afternoon, it’s time for you to ascend to the crater rim and drive to either Ngorongoro Farmhouse or Tloma Lodge, both of which offer first-class accommodation with renowned on-site restaurants. Here you’ll enjoy a wonderful evening meal before settling down for your final overnight stay.
The Return to Kilimanjaro
Wake up to the gentle sounds of nature and take a morning drive from Ngorongoro to the nearby city of Arusha for the final leg of your tour. Arusha offers a fascinating opportunity to see the melding of rural and urban environments in Tanzania. It’s also the perfect spot to bask at the foot of Mount Kilimanjaro as you enjoy your lunch.
From there, it’s time to say your fond farewell to Northern Tanzania. You’ll be driven back to Kilimanjaro International Airport in plenty of time for your flight home.
- Cost of accommodation (double room based on two people sharing) for a total of 4 nights (alternative but similar accommodation may be used at certain times of the year)
- Board basis is Full Board in Serengeti Kati Kati Camp and Ngorongoro Farm House/Tloma Lodge
- Private/small group air-conditioned transport / transfers
- Assistance and porterage: meeting and assistance on arrival/departure at airports and hotels
- Game drives and crafter tour in a 4x4 vehicle with photo roof and a guaranteed window seat
- English-speaking driver-guides for all excursions as illustrated in the itinerary
- Entrance park fees (excluding video camera fees) and government taxes for all excursions as illustrated in the itinerary
- 1 bottle of mineral water per person per day
- International flights and airfare taxes
- Visa arrangements and fees
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses, such as alcoholic beverages, telephone calls, laundry, camera fees, spa and business facilities in the hotel
- Video and professional still camera fees during excursions
- Gratuities for drivers-guides, naturalists and hotel staff
- Optional attractions and excursions (unless specified)
You might also like these
Take a look at these other inspiring itineraries. Our Destination Specialists would love to create something perfect for you.
Bush Rover Tanzania
Southern Tanzania Safari
There’s no question too small. Start planning your dream trip by talking to our Destination Specialists.
Sign up to our newsletter
Receive the latest travel inspiration and destination news.
How we tailor make your holiday
The Hayes & Jarvis Way
We've been tailor making holidays for 65 years. With over 60 destinations to choose from, talk to us and we'll listen to your travel ideas to create unforgettable holiday experiences.