Massachusetts was the landing point for the Mayflower in 1612, giving the state a rich history which has a powerful draw for local and international visitors. As well as history, you’ll find peaceful villages and beautiful landscapes to explore by bike, on foot or by car. Add to this the city of Boston, with its excellent academic institutions and thriving culture.
Choose from our Best of New England or autumnal Colours of New England tours. Having discovered Boston, you’ll make your way across the wild and varied terrain of Maine, where lighthouses reach across the sea that provides tasty, freshly caught seafood delights. Wind round Arcadia National Park and Vermont’s White and Green Mountains, through beautiful woodlands at their colourful best in autumn. Whale watching, vast sand dunes and relaxing on unspoilt beaches await you at Cape Cod.
Like the idea of combining the red, orange and gold autumn leaves with the taste of great food and a pint of golden beer? Then take our Brew England: Beaches, Buffs and Beer Tour. Hiking, cycling and beaching are mixed with a study of cottage beer making and we even supply you with your very own Beerologist.
Martha'S Vineyard Holidays
Self Drive Tour New England Usa
“Without a shadow of doubt, the beauty of autumn in New England was the highlight of my trip.”
“I loved learning about the history of the Boston Tea Party and being there made it so real.”
Frequently Asked Questions
What and where is Martha’s Vineyard?
Martha’s Vineyard is an island in the Atlantic, south of Cape Cod, with pristine sandy beaches, harbours and farmland. Accessed via a 45 minute ferry ride from Cape Cod, you'll be enchanted by the pretty scenes of sailboats, brightly painted cottages, farmer's markets and lighthouses in this quaint and unspoilt setting.
Tours in Massachusetts are relaxed and fun with good food, fresh clean air and lots of healthy outdoor activity. History abounds and, whether you dip your toe or dive right in, we think you’ll find it fascinating. There are wonderful vistas, remote beaches, mountain terrain and of course the stunning colours of New England just next door.
Why you'll love Massachusetts and New England...
- Witnessing the glorious colours of foliage in the autumn
- Sampling chilled craft beers in cottage breweries
- Breathing in the fresh smell of the sea air along the coast of Maine
- Feeling the wind in your hair as you watch for whales
- Walking along unspoilt beaches at Cape Cod
- Touching the ancient stone along the historic Freedom Trail
- Following the rhythm of the lighthouse beams
- Savouring the taste of freshly caught fish
- Taking a cruise from Boston’s Harbour Walk
- Hiring a swan boat on the lake in Boston’s Public Garden
- Being moved by the music of the Boston Symphony Orchestra
- Observing post modern architecture at Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Did you know?
- Harvard University was built in 1636.
- There are (allegedly) more ice cream outlets in Boston than in any other US city.
- Jaws was filmed in Cape Cod in 1975 and is now over forty years old.
There’s no question too small. Start planning your dream trip by talking to our Destination Specialists.
Sign up to our newsletter
Receive the latest travel inspiration and destination news.
How we tailor make your holiday
The Hayes & Jarvis Way
We've been tailor making holidays for 65 years. With over 60 destinations to choose from, talk to us and we'll listen to your travel ideas to create unforgettable holiday experiences.