Blue Monday is the brainchild of Dr Cliff Arnall who calculated all types of factors against one another, such as weather, debt, salary and the amount of time that had elapsed since Christmas, to work out the day most of us Brits are likely to be feeling the winter blues. Part of his formula focused on the need to take action – which is something we’re keen to help with. Here are some of our most cheerful images from across the globe to inspire your next adventure and put a smile on your face this Blue Monday, as well as some from our most happy customers.
There’s something about this contented Costa Rican sloth that makes me believe he has the best life ever.
Fancy a drink? Try this, for beach service with a smile at the Emeraude Beach Attitude Resort and Spa in Mauritius.
I want this job – putting the lines on the glorious white sand beach at the Avani Bentota Resort & Spa in Sri Lanka.
Imagine yourself ordering drinks from this boat bar on the stunning isle of Mauritius?
There are so many reasons to be cheerful during January, but if you’re still feeling the blues, here are a few tips to help brighten up your day:
1. Socialise and laugh with friends (with a glass of wine in Cape Winelands, South Africa).
3. Be sure to soak up the sunshine (no matter where you are, but in the Caribbean preferably).
4. Go for a walk (on the wild side in Kariega Private Game Reserve, South Africa).
5. Do some exercise (At Elite Island Hotels in Antigua).
6. Listen to music (where better than in Memphis or Nashville, Tennessee).
7. Eat your favourite foods (when you join the cookery class at Zilwa Attitude Resort and Spa in Mauritius).
We hope we made your Monday a little less blue, but if you need more inspiration, visit our Inspire Me page for the top travel experiences. Take a look at our amazing holiday suggestions and decide what will make you feel happiest.
There’s no question too small. Start planning your dream trip by talking to our Destination Specialists.
Sign up to our newsletter
Receive the latest travel inspiration and destination news.
How we tailor make your holiday
The Hayes & Jarvis Way
We've been tailor making holidays for 65 years. With over 60 destinations to choose from, talk to us and we'll listen to your travel ideas to create unforgettable holiday experiences.