Tracking polar bears through the Canadian tundra is a fascinating way to connect with the natural world and an experience you will never forget. With our Churchill Town and Tundra Polar Bears tour, you’ll explore the frozen plains in an official Tundra Buggy®, an all-terrain vehicle normally used by scientific researchers to view, photograph and study polar bears and arctic wildlife in their natural habitat.
Having spent decades organising polar bear watching tours around the Hudson Bay area, the expert guides know the best locations in Churchill where you can safely enjoy the thrill of spotting bears out in the wild. No trip to Manitoba would be complete without taking the opportunity to immerse yourself in indigenous Inuit culture. We’ll guide you through fascinating museums, natural landmarks and even a spectacular dog sledding excursion through the boreal forest and pine trees surrounding Churchill.
- Experience the thrill of dog sledding with a local musher across the frozen forests of Manitoba
- Discover the town of Churchill, including the fascinating Itsanitaq Museum and Parks Canada Interpretive Centre
- Enjoy a unique cultural presentation to learn more about indigenous Inuit culture and the development of the local area
- Jump on board the world-famous Tundra Buggy® to track polar bears, arctic foxes and ptarmigan in their natural environment
Start your Journey
Arrival in Winnipeg
Arriving at Winnipeg International Airport, you’ll make your way over to the Four Points by Sheraton Hotel for a comfortable overnight stay in the nearby grounds of the airport.
You’ll have time to drop off your things, head into the city or spend the day at your leisure before meeting one of our expert tour guides for an initial briefing with other members of your exploration group. It’s an early start to catch our connecting flight to Churchill the following morning so we recommend getting a good night’s rest in preparation.
Winnipeg - Churchill Town
Boarding an early morning flight from Winnipeg to the remote town of Churchill, this is where your arctic adventure truly begins. Upon arrival, we’ll take you directly to Lazy Bear Lodge to check-in and freshen up before heading straight out for a guided tour of Churchill. Enjoy a memorable trip to the Parks Canada Interpretive Centre to learn more about the evolving history, culture and nature of the local area.
There is also a chance to view some of the oldest known Inuit carvings and artefacts in the world at the Itsanitaq Museum before you head back for a delicious evening meal at the hotel with the rest of your expedition group. After dinner, enjoy a cultural presentation from a local Churchill resident who will give you another perspective on the unique culture of this northern outpost.
It’s early starts on days three and four, where your group will be collected from the hotel and taken straight to the Tundra Buggy® launch facility. From here, it’s out into the frozen tundra to explore the very best nature trails that Churchill has to offer. Experience the adventure of spotting arctic wildlife and traversing incredible landscapes and terrain.
Curious by nature, it’s not unusual for polar bear families to come right up to the windows of the Tundra Buggy® to get a good sniff of the strange vehicle, offering you an incredible photo opportunity. You’re also likely to spot caribou, snowy owls and arctic foxes along the way. You’ll benefit by having an experienced tour guide on board at all times, pointing out diverse animal habitats and outstanding natural landmarks.
After a full exploration on both days, head back to the warmth of the hotel for an evening meal and few well-deserved drinks before bedtime.
There’s no better way to spend your final day in Churchill than to experience the thrill of travelling through Manitoba’s boreal forests on a traditional dog sledding excursion. The local musher will be more than happy to tell you fascinating tales from the surrounding Inuit community as you hurtle through pine trees across the beautiful icy tundra.
After a thrilling trip you’ll never forget, it will be time to return the main town for a bite to eat before spending the rest of your afternoon at a slightly slower pace. This will be a perfect opportunity to pick up souvenirs to take back home before boarding the flight back to Winnipeg for a comfortable overnight stay at a hotel next to the airport.
Having checked out of your hotel at Winnipeg Airport, you have the choice between taking a departing flight straight home or extending your stay in the beautiful Canada.
- International flights and airfare taxes
- Return flights between Winnipeg and Churchill
- Cost of accommodation (double room based on two people sharing) for a total of 5 nights (alternative but similar accommodation may be used at certain times of the year)
- Board basis: Breakfast plus two lunches and one dinner at, or provided as takeaway by, the Lazy Bear Cafe (depending on tides and tour times)
- Transfers between Churchill Airport and hotel
- Guide for all excursions as illustrated in the itinerary
- Taxes, including Provincial Taxes and Federal GST
- Visa arrangements and fees
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses, such as beverages, telephone calls, laundry, camera fees, spa and business facilities in the hotel
- Gratuities for drivers, tour directors, local guides and hotel staff
- Meals (unless specified)
- Optional attractions and excursions (unless specified)
You might also like these
Take a look at these other inspiring itineraries. Our Destination Specialists would love to create something perfect for you.
Northern Tanzania Safari
Aurora Borealis Northern Lights Tour Yukon
There’s no question too small. Start planning your dream trip by talking to our Destination Specialists.
Sign up to our newsletter
Receive the latest travel inspiration and destination news.
How we tailor make your holiday
The Hayes & Jarvis Way
We've been tailor making holidays for 65 years. With over 60 destinations to choose from, talk to us and we'll listen to your travel ideas to create unforgettable holiday experiences.