Our Pantanal Discovery Tour provides an introduction to the incredible biodiversity of the Pantanal, the world’s largest wetland. The bulk of the region is located in Matto Gross do Sol, a state in southeastern Brazil.
The Amazon Rainforest may be more famous as a wildlife hotspot, but the Pantanal is home to an equally diverse range of animals. On this three day tour you’ll have the chance to see rare and endangered creatures like jaguar, maned wolf and hyacinth macaw alongside perennial favourites like capybara, giant anteater and toucan. On arrival you’ll be immediately immersed in the landscape, as your guide points out native flora and fauna on the winding road to your lodge.
This trip is a real treat for nature lovers and adventurers. You’ll enjoy night safari tours, where you may catch a glimpse of elusive jaguar, ocelot and tapir beneath the stars. We’ll also take a boat out along the Mutum River, watching the wildlife that flourishes on its banks. The river is home to an incredible variety of migratory birds, while beneath the waters you’ll see shoals of piranha. This is a fragile ecosystem entirely dependent on the natural rise and fall of the waters over the year. It’s a unique landscape and a little off the beaten path, making it the perfect destination for couples looking for a once in a lifetime experience.
We’ve been planning incredible journeys to far flung parts of the globe for decades. If you’ve never experienced the wild side of Brazil, now’s the time. This is sure to be one of the most memorable trips of your life.
- Experience the rhythm of life in the Pantanal, one of Brazil’s most biodiverse destinations
- Get the chance to see jaguar, giant anteater, capybara and anaconda among countless others
- See an astonishing variety of birdlife, like bare faced currasow, hyacinth macaw and toucan
- Stay in a luxurious eco lodge deep in the heart of the wetlands
Start your Journey
Arrive in Pantanal
Arrive into Cuiaba Marechal Rondon International Airport and transfer to your hotel, the Pousada Do Rio Mutum Eco Lodge (or similar). En route your guide will give you an introduction to this spectacular landscape.
On arrival at the lodge you’ll enjoy a talk on the region and a welcome drink, followed by a walk around the grounds.
After a dinner of traditional local dishes, we’ll head out on a 4x4 night safari, where you’ll have a chance to see rare nocturnal inhabitants like tapir, jaguar and ocelot.
Enjoy a delicious breakfast in the communal dining area, before heading out on a guided nature walk.
You’ll learn all about how this delicate ecosystem functions, spotting birds, mammals and plants along the way. Return to the lodge for lunch.
In the afternoon we’ll head out on a boat tour of the Mutum River. Along this broad, meandering waterway you’ll have the chance to see giant otters, bluespotted ribbontail rays and caiman.
We’ll head back to the lodge in the late afternoon for dinner.
This evening we’ll head out by boat or 4x4 to enjoy the evening air and spot some more wildlife.
On our final day in the Pantanal we’ll set out for a morning of horseback riding on beautiful farmland close to the Sia Mariana Bay.
After lunch back at the lodge, it’s time to head out on one last boat ride. This time we’ll explore the inlets and channels around the Sia Mariana and Chacororé bays. This area is famous for its incredible birdlife. You have a good chance of seeing toucan, aracari and red fan parrots among countless others.
As the sun sinks below the horizon you can fish for piranha (from March to October) before returning to the lodge for dinner.
Transfer to Cuiaba Marechal Rondon International Airport for your onward flight.
- English-speaking local guides for all guided excursions as illustrated in the itinerary
- Cost of accommodation (double room based on two people sharing) for a total of 3 nights (alternative but similar accommodation may be used at certain times of the year)
- All entrance fees as appropriate
- Meals included as detailed
- Private/small group (air-conditioned) transport / transfers
- Assistance and porterage: meeting and assistance on arrival/departure at airports and hotels
- International and domestic flights
- Optional attractions and excursions (unless specified)
- Gratuities for drivers, tour directors, local guides, naturalists and hotel staff
- Personal expenses, such as alcoholic beverages, telephone calls, laundry, camera fees, spa and business facilities in the hotel
You might also like these
Take a look at these other inspiring itineraries. Our Destination Specialists would love to create something perfect for you.
There’s no question too small. Start planning your dream trip by talking to our Destination Specialists.
Sign up to our newsletter
Receive the latest travel inspiration and destination news.
How we tailor make your holiday
The Hayes & Jarvis Way
We've been tailor making holidays for 65 years. With over 60 destinations to choose from, talk to us and we'll listen to your travel ideas to create unforgettable holiday experiences.