Experience some of Vietnam’s most spectacular scenery in the rural town of Mai Chau and unearth the ancient capital city ruins in Hoa Lu on our three day Vietnam tour. Marvel at imposing limestone cliffs, journey through Tam Coc Grottoes, immerse yourself in the local culture and enjoy scenic views of seemingly endless rice fields.
Our short tour from Hanoi squeezes in plenty of breath-taking scenery as you journey to Thai Binh, Ninh Binh, Hoa Lu and Mai Chau. Culture enthusiasts will love exploring the Keo Temple in Thai Binh, marvelling at the Pho Minh tower in Nam Dinh and discovering the wonders of the Bich Dong Pagoda in Ninh Binh. Treat your eyes to the extensive beauty of rural Mai Chau and cycle around the town to really get a feel for how the locals live.
- Unearth Vietnam’s ancient capital ruins in Hoa Lu and marvel at ‘Halong Bay on Land’
- Discover Mai Chau’s beautiful rural scenery, including extensive rice fields and towering limestone karsts
- Travel in style on a traditional rowboat through Tam Coc Grottoes to explore impressive caves
- Hike to rural villages and experience the local culture of Thai hill tribe ethnic communities
Start your Journey
Hanoi - Thai Binh - Ninh Binh
Depart from Hanoi and travel towards Thai Binh. Your first stop is a visit to the beautiful Keo Pagoda, where you will briefly explore the quiet village that lies on the Red River Delta. Keo Pagoda is home to the Buddhist temple Keo Temple, which dates back to 1061.
From Thai Binh, venture onwards to Nam Dinh, passing the Pho Minh tower which is around one thousand years old and features Vietnamese religious imprints.
Your tour then takes you to Tam Coc, visiting ‘Halong Bay on land’, which are similar to the same infamous limestone rock formations in Halong Bay. You can explore these incredible karsts as you wind downstream through picturesque paddy fields. Along the route, you’ll be fully immersed in breath-taking scenery, which includes rugged cliffs and vast rice fields as you travel down the Ngo Dong River.
Your final stop today is Bich Dong Pagoda. Explore the ancient tiered pagoda, which is nestled in the mountainside and located near three impressive caves.
Hoa Lu - Mai Chau
Discover the former capital of Dai Co Viet, which was home to the Vietnamese state before 1010, while you check out Hoa Lu this morning. Hoa Lu is steeped in stunning scenery, including extensive rice fields and imposing limestone mountains. Stroll around the serene landscapes and unearth the Dinh temple and Le Dynasty temple, and learn about their captivating histories.
Enjoy a scenic drive as you leave Hoa Lu and travel towards Mai Chau. Make sure you look out for the Pu Luong Nature Reserve and Cuc Phuong National Park. When you arrive into Mai Chau, you’re free to use the rest of your afternoon at your own leisure. Spend time exploring the divine landscape and seek out some of the unique towering cliffs. You can also visit the quaint local villages, such as Tai Dam and Tai Kao, to learn about the local culture and spiritual beliefs.
Mai Chau - Hanoi
Ride around the luscious green rice fields that dominate the Mai Chau landscape and discover more of the pretty rural area. Mai Chau is ideal if you want to enjoy an easy and relaxing bike ride, as it has an abundance of bike trails for you to enjoy.
Cycle past rice paddies, farms and stilt houses that are home to a diverse range of ethnic minority groups, such as the Muong and the Thai. Once you’ve got a feel of the beautiful town, it’s time to head back to Hanoi and your tour is Ninh Binh Adventure tour is complete, leaving you free to go onto your next destination.
- Cost of accommodation (double room based on two people sharing) for a total of 2 nights (alternative but similar accommodation may be used at certain times of the year)
- Board basis is Half Board: 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, and 2 dinners
- Private group, air-conditioned transport / transfers
- Assistance and porterage: meeting and assistance on arrival/departure at airports and hotels
- English-speaking local guides for all guided excursions as illustrated in the itinerary
- Entrance fees (excluding video camera fee) for all guided excursions as illustrated in the itinerary
- International flights and airfare taxes
- Visa arrangements and fees
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses, such as alcoholic beverages, telephone calls, laundry, camera fees, spa and business facilities in the hotel
- Video and professional still camera fees during excursions
- Gratuities for drivers, tour directors, local guides, naturalists and hotel staff
- Meals (unless specified)
- Optional attractions and excursions (unless specified)
You might also like these
Take a look at these other inspiring itineraries. Our Destination Specialists would love to create something perfect for you.
Vietname Tour North To South
There’s no question too small. Start planning your dream trip by talking to our Destination Specialists.
Sign up to our newsletter
Receive the latest travel inspiration and destination news.
How we tailor make your holiday
The Hayes & Jarvis Way
We've been tailor making holidays for 65 years. With over 60 destinations to choose from, talk to us and we'll listen to your travel ideas to create unforgettable holiday experiences.