An ideal introduction to this breathtaking country, our Highlights of Namibia tour takes you on a journey from the dark waters of the Atlantic Ocean to the dusty plains of the Namib Desert.
Spend a night in the Auas Mountains and start your Namibia adventure searching for wildlife on an exciting game drive. Moving on to Namib, you’ll explore the geological formations in Damaraland, climb a dune in Sossusvlei and soak up the sights at Deadvlei and Sesriem Canyon.
Swakopmund provides a laid-back atmosphere with fascinating architecture and picturesque beaches. Carved out of the dunes between the Namib Desert and the ocean, a breeze blows from the Atlantic bringing cooler temperatures here than inland. Driving through Namib Naukluft Park, you’ll discover the ‘Welwitschia mirabilis’ a strange and unusual plant, endemic to the Namib desert.
Spend six days exploring unique ecosystems, sliding down sand dunes and dining under the stars. This unforgettable tour is highly recommended for your first visit to Namibia.
- A six day journey capturing Namibia’s breathtaking landscapes
- Visit the town of Rehoboth and learn of its interesting descendants and their diverse heritage
- Explore the red sculpted dunes of Sossusvlei, some of the highest dunes in the world
- Sample the delicious local cuisine while admiring migratory birdlife and flamingos at Swakopmund
Start your Journey
Upon arrival, you will be picked up for the 45 minute drive to your hotel, Auas Lodge. Auas Safari Lodge is nestled in an expanse of African savannah in the shadow of the Auas Mountains. The Auas mountain range hugs the southern fringes of the capital, but here the city seems far off, giving way to bush savannah prolific in game, bird life and plant diversity.
After check in, no need to wait, dive straight into the essence of Namibia. An afternoon game drive will take you on a journey through the savannah, where you will be able to view zebras, gnus, giraffes, baboons, ostriches, jackals and with a bit of luck, the cheetah or a leopard.
Alternatively, enjoy a relaxing hike on your own or request a guided walk. If you prefer to unwind, sunbathing by the pool is perfect for relaxation. Spend your evening sipping drinks on the veranda as the sun sets over the African savannah and watch wildlife at the waterhole nearby. Dinner will be served under the stars to the sound of nature.
- Afternoon Game drives - NAD585.00 per person at own cost (not included)
- Afternoon Nature walks - NAD 250.00 per person at own cost (not included)
After breakfast, you will be met at the hotel and driven to Namib Desert. The Namib is the world’s oldest desert and although it stretches along the entire length of Namibia’s coastline, the Namib commonly refers to the vast sea of sand from Luderitz to Swakopmund. Namib Desert is home to numerous species of wildlife that cannot be found elsewhere. An amazing array of flora and fauna manages to survive here. Famous species include the Welwitschia – a living fossil plant, endemic chameleons, fur seals along the coast, brown hyenas, jackals and, remarkably, one of Africa’s largest antelopes, the Gemsbok.
You’ll spend two nights at Desert Quiver Camp, conveniently located a mere three miles from the entrance gate to Sossusvlei. Once you’re settled, enjoy some lunchtime wine tasting with a cheese platter at Neuras Wine and Wildlife Estate. In the late afternoon, there is also an optional Sossusvlei Lodge sundowner drive where you can enjoy breath-taking views over the desert grass plains with occasional photo stops and your knowledgeable local guides will explain the desert fauna and flora. For sunset you’ll head to the top of the mountain to watch a spectacular sunset while enjoying sundowner drinks and snacks.
Afternoon Sossusvlei Lodge Sundowner Drive NAD 360.00 per person at own cost (not included).
After breakfast, you’ll spend the day exploring Sossusvlei, where you will witness the iconic red sand dunes of the Namib. Enjoy a picnic lunch as you admire panoramic views. Clear blue skies contrast with the giant red sand dunes, making this one of the natural wonders of Africa and a photographer’s heaven. On this day a guided visit to Sossusvlei, Deadvlei and Sesriem Canyon is included.
After breakfast, you will be met at the camp and driven to Swakopmund. Swakopmund is a coastal city in Namibia, west of the capital, Windhoek. Swakopmund offers sandboarding, quad biking, dune carting, parachuting, hot air ballooning, shark fishing, deep sea fishing and beach angling, to name but a few. If you’re seeking a slower pace then there are restaurants, cafes, art galleries, the Swakopmund Museum, a snake park, aquarium and plenty of unique architecture.
You’ll spend two nights at Hotel Zum Kaiser. Once you’re settled into the hotel, enjoy an afternoon drive through Welwitschia. Together with your local guide, you will drive through Namib Naukluft Park, where the mysterious and endemic ‘Welwitschia mirabilis’ can be found. You will then move on to see Moon-Landscape, a fascinating group of Damara Granites pushed upwards through the earth's crust some 500 to 460 million years ago.
Following breakfast, you’ll have another day to explore Swakopmund. Take some time to explore the town centre and enjoy the variety of bookshops and galleries on offer. For those feeling active, there are a variety of optional experiences on offer at an additional cost.
Spend the morning looking for wildlife on a Dolphin Cruise or a Living Desert Tour. In the afternoon explore the city on a bike or visit a Township (additional charges apply).
After a busy day of exploring, you’ll meet with one of our guides on the beach for sunset snacks and drinks.
Optional activities (not included):
- Morning Eco Marine Kayak Tours NAD 898.00 per person at own cost.
- Afternoon Swakopmund Fat Bike Old City Tour NAD 430.00 per person at own cost.
- Afternoon Mondesa Township Tour NAD 6325.00 per person at own cost.
- Morning Tommy’s Tours and Safaris Living Desert Tour NAD 797 per person at own cost.
End of Itinerary
After a final breakfast, your highlights of Namibia tour ends here with a transfer back to Walvis Bay Airport.
- Full board basis: breakfast, lunch and dinner at Auas Safari Lodge and Desert Quiver Camp. Bed and breakfast at Hotel Zum Kaiser
- Cost of accommodation (double room based on two people sharing) for a total of 4 nights (alternative but similar accommodation may be used at certain times of the year)
- Overland transfers
- Transport from Swakopmund to Walvis Bay Airport
- Donation to one of the Namibian welfare funds supported by Abenteuer Afrika Safari
- English-speaking local guides for all guided excursions as illustrated in the itinerary
- Entrance fees and park fees for all guided excursions as illustrated in the itinerary
- International flights and airfare taxes
- Visa arrangements and fees
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses, such as alcoholic beverages, telephone calls, laundry, camera fees, spa and business facilities in the hotel, unless specified
- Video and professional still camera fees during excursions
- Gratuities for drivers, tour directors, local guides, naturalists and hotel staff
- Optional attractions and excursions (unless specified)
You might also like these
Take a look at these other inspiring itineraries. Our Destination Specialists would love to create something perfect for you.
Highlights of Northern Tanzania
Guided Self Drive Tours Namibia
There’s no question too small. Start planning your dream trip by talking to our Destination Specialists.
Sign up to our newsletter
Receive the latest travel inspiration and destination news.
How we tailor make your holiday
The Hayes & Jarvis Way
We've been tailor making holidays for 65 years. With over 60 destinations to choose from, talk to us and we'll listen to your travel ideas to create unforgettable holiday experiences.