Your twelve-day Discover Zimbabwe adventure starts in Harare, Zimbabwe’s capital city. Continuing on to Mana Pools National Park and the Zambezi River, prepare to be left in awe by the stunning scenery and magnificent wildlife viewing. The life-giving power of the Zambezi River makes Mana Pools National Park one of Zimbabwe’s most lush and flourishing regions. Designated as a UNESCO World Heritage site, you can look forward to activities such as canoe trips and guided walks.
Your Discover Zimbabwe tour will then lead you to Bumi Hills, a range of remote hills on the shores of the spectacular Lake Kariba in the Mashonaland West Province of Zimbabwe. Situated near the northeastern border of the extensive Matusadona National Park, the Bumi area is noted for its fantastic wildlife and breath-taking views, especially the view out across Lake Kariba from the Bumi Hills’ main ridge.
Moving on to Hwange National Park, the country's biggest reserve, you can look forward to game drives, guided walks or horse riding safaris. Home to a profusion of wildlife, including giraffe, lion, zebra and approximately 40,000 elephants, this location provides a sanctuary for all the country’s endangered species. The park’s magnificent terrain ranges from desert dunes, savannah lands and mopane woodlands to rocky outcrops and sparse forests. Other highlights include the Bumbusi National Monument and the Nyamandlovu Pan.
Your journey ends at Victoria Falls, known to locals as ‘The Smoke That Thunders’. This stunning waterfall is one of the seven natural wonders of the world. The sheer power of this massive body of water plunging into the Zambezi Gorge is awe-inspiring and unforgettable.
- Prepare to be spellbound by the thundering wonder of the world, Victoria Falls and enjoy a wide range of memorable activities in this stunning location
- Witness Africa’s unique and rare wildlife, including large herds of elephants and, if you’re lucky, spot the endangered wild dog in Hwange National Park
- Experience guided walking and canoeing safaris in breath-taking Mana Pools National Park
- Explore the wilderness and witness an incredible sunset with a relaxing cruise along the Zambezi River
Start your Journey
On arrival in Harare, you will be driven to Armadale Boutique Lodge. Located in the northern suburbs of Harare, Armadale Boutique Lodge has a cozy residential feel. Built in 1904, the integrity of the 1904 farmhouse has been kept, making Armadale a charming venue. Set in two-and-a-half acres of landscaped gardens, with a lovely swimming pool and extensive verandas you will feel very much at peace here.
The birdlife is prolific within these verdant suburbs, and the lodge library has an entire section dedicated to local bird species, and has a checklist for updating your sightings. Other highlights within Harare include the National Gallery of Zimbabwe, the Zimbabwe Museum of Human Sciences, the Chapungu Sculpture Park, and the National Botanic Garden.
Mana Pools National Park
After breakfast, you will be driven to Harare Airport where you’ll catch a one-hour and thirty-minute charter flight to Mana Pools. On arrival at the Mana airstrip you will be met for your game drive transfer to Chikwenya.
You’ll spend two nights at Chikwenya in tented accommodation on a full board basis, including the safari activities. Situated on the eastern boundary of Mana Pools National Park, Chikwenya is a photographer’s paradise as it looks out over an open floodplain and onto the broad Zambezi River. A lush backdrop is provided by the mountains of the Rift Valley escarpment. Your camp is surrounded by a dense forest of albida and Natal mahogany trees, which provide deep shade in the heat of the day.
Aside from your game drives, other popular activities during your stay include river cruises, nature walks, bird watching, catch-and-release fishing, and searching for dinosaur tracks (additional surcharges apply).
After breakfast, you will be driven to the airstrip for your charter flight to Bumi Hills. This flight takes approximately 30 minutes. Upon arrival, you will be met at the airport for your transfer to Bumi Hills Safari Lodge.
Spend two nights at Bumi Hills Safari Lodge, which is situated on top of a hill approximately 55km south-west of the town of Kariba. With the Zambezi escarpment as its backdrop, the well-known Bumi Hills Safari Lodge overlooks the foreshore below and the vastness of Lake Kariba. The lodge offers a variety of activities including game viewing, which you can do in open-safari vehicles, on foot accompanied by a professional guide, or by boat. The sunset cruise provides you with wonderful photographic opportunities of the famous Kariba sunsets. Bird watching, hide sits and casual fishing are also available (additional surcharge applies).
Hwange National Park
After breakfast, you’ll be taken by light aircraft transfer from Bumi Hills to the Linkwasha airstrip. The flying time is approximately one hour and twenty minutes. Upon arrival, you will be met and taken to Linkwasha Camp.
You’ll spend three-nights at Linkwasha, a luxurious camp that lies in a private area of Hwange National Park. Situated on the edge of the famed Ngamo Plains, which offer fantastic summer game viewing, the camp overlooks a magnificent plain and a pan that is a magnet for game all year-round, especially in the dry winter months. The fresh, open and airy design of Linkwasha’s tents ensure incredible views, while the main area overlooks the prolific waterhole.
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
After breakfast, a transfer will take you to the airstrip, where you will catch your charter flight to Victoria Falls. This flight takes approximately forty-five minutes. On arrival, you will be met for your road and boat transfer to Victoria Falls River Lodge, which takes approximately forty minutes.
Victoria Falls River Lodge is a luxury tented lodge situated on the banks of the mighty Zambezi River - so close to the Victoria Falls that you you are able to see the spray in the distance. Uninterrupted panoramic views of African sunsets and exceptional wildlife viewing makes this the ideal place from which to explore Victoria Falls. The main lodge has an open plan design and has been positioned just back from the river - in view of the elephants' natural evening route. Sit back and sip on a cocktail, under the shade of the thatched roof and chance seeing the elephants graze along the riverbanks.
You’ll spend three nights at Victoria Falls River Lodge in luxury tented accommodation on a full board basis. There are plenty of activities for you to choose from during your stay, including a choice of either a morning or afternoon game drive in the Zambezi National Park, a sunset river cruise and bird watching.
There are additional activities on offer too - you can visit the local town, take a tour of the Falls, or visit the rainforest.
End of itinerary
Following breakfast, you will be collected from your lodge and taken to Victoria Falls Airport. Your Discover Zimbabwe tour ends - but your memories have only just begun.
- International flights and airfare taxes
- Cost of accommodation (double room based on two people sharing) for a total of 11 nights (alternative but similar accommodation may be used at certain times of the year)
- Board basis is Full Board: breakfast, lunch, and dinner at Chikwenya Camp, Mana Pools National Park; Bumi Hills, Bumi Hills; Linkwasha Camp, Hwange National Park; Victoria Falls River Lodge, Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
- Board basis is Half Board: breakfast, lunch/dinner at Armadale Lodge, Harare
- Local brand drinks and laundry
- Private/small group (air-conditioned) transport / transfers
- Assistance and porterage: meeting and assistance on arrival/departure at airports and hotels
- English-speaking local guides for all guided excursions as illustrated in the itinerary
- Entrance fees (excluding video camera fee), and park fees for all guided excursions as illustrated in the itinerary
- Domestic airfares and taxes
- Visa arrangements and fees
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses, such as premium brand alcoholic beverages, telephone calls, laundry, camera fees, spa and business facilities in the hotel
- Video and professional still camera fees during excursions
- Gratuities for drivers, tour directors, local guides, naturalists and hotel staff
- Departure taxes of U$15 per person at Harare & Kariba (subject to change) – payable direct
You might also like these
Take a look at these other inspiring itineraries. Our Destination Specialists would love to create something perfect for you.
Zambia Tour Guide Professional
Cape Town To Victoria Falls Tour
There’s no question too small. Start planning your dream trip by talking to our Destination Specialists.
Sign up to our newsletter
Receive the latest travel inspiration and destination news.
How we tailor make your holiday
The Hayes & Jarvis Way
We've been tailor making holidays for 65 years. With over 60 destinations to choose from, talk to us and we'll listen to your travel ideas to create unforgettable holiday experiences.